Empirical Labs EL7 Fatso
Empirical Labs EL7 Fatso
Retail Price: $2,500.00
For Gear Heads:
The Empirical Labs EL7 Fatso (Full Analog Tape Simulator and Optimizer) is a digitally controlled analog device that gives musicians and engineers easy access to many of the desirable characteristics exhibited by older tube and Class A electronics and magnetic tape mediums. This two channel audio processor musically integrates frequencies and transients, increasing the apparent volume while keeping tight control over peak levelsDownload the Empirical Labs EL7 Fatso Owner's Manual or Recall Sheet
• Harmonic Generation and Soft Clipper (Distortion Generation) - this class A circuit gently rounds the peaks like saturated tubes or tape.
• High Frequency Saturation (Warmth) - a one-of-a-kind dynamic low pass filter which softens high frequencies when they “pile up” on a source.
• Transformer & Tape Head Emulation - a simulation of the effect of input and output transformers of older devices, which adds the low frequency harmonics that characterize them, as well as analog tape..
• Classic Knee Compression - your typical automatic leveling device found on just about every instrument and vocal track as well as on the overall buss, done Empirical Labs compression – smooth and sweet, but in your face!
With the Empirical Labs EL7 Fatso, recording studios and audio production facilities can enhance and soften the sound of Hardware Digital Recorders (HDRs) and Digital Audio Workstations (DAWs). Mix engineers will have the option not to have to use bulky, expensive analog tape recorders to get the warmth and sweet high end they’ve come to rely on for so many decades and Owners of DAWs and HDRs can finally put a stop to complaints about the coldness and brittle edge of their mixes and instruments. Even audiophiles can benefit from the FATSO, bringing back the warmth and ambience of LP’s and tapes to their CD players and other digital reproduction mediums.
As with most Empirical Labs products, the unit is incredibly easy and fun to use. Large Distressor-style knobs control the input and output levels. Four meticulously tweaked compression modes – including the extremely popular “Buss” setting and the legendary “Spank”, a subtle knee followed by hard limiting resembling the SSL talkback compressor – can be selected (and combined!) with the push of a button. Seven different high frequency saturation “Warmth” settings are accessed just as easily. The FATSO also features switchable transformer circuits, which can add the musical artifacts generated by classic devices like NEVE, API, etc such as low order clipping and inter-modular distortion, transient clipping… and some other very musical non-linearities & True to its name, the FATSO Jr. is rather sturdily constructed – you’ll be impressed with how well built it feels when you first lift it out of the box.
The Empirical Labs EL7 Fatso is a Full Analog Tape Simulator and Optimizer. Pretty much it emulates and recreates classic tube, class A and Tape mediums. Need some extra saturation, distortion.....warmth? The EL7 Fatso should has you covered.
• Freq. Response is 2 Hz to 60 kHz in clean audio mode (+0, -3 dB).
• Dynamic Range 110 dB from maximum output (20%THDsoft clipping) to minimum output. Greater than 100 dB signal to noise.
• Distortion Ranges between .06% and 20% depending on mode and settings.
• DC coupled Input and Outputs
• High quality audio caps used internally. Compressor Time Constants – Attack range 1mS – 60mS. Release range .05 sec to 3.5 seconds. Attack and Releases are fixed by the compression type selected
Content for Media